Becca Wilhite Blog

March 26, 2012

Eww. Sick.

Filed under: anxiety — becca @ 11:52 am

So I have had this little cold for a week. I took a day off, stayed in bed and everything, and it did start to feel better.

Then I performed Nunsense on Saturday night. Oy. I made sound come out almost every time sound was supposed to come out, but it wasn’t always the perfectly-exact sound, if you know what I mean. I am not being ironic, or even exaggerating (believe it or not) when I tell you that I gave that performance everything I had. An hour later, the voice was nearly gone, and the next morning, I sounded dreadful. Much of yesterday I hid in my room and tried not to speak. I’m taking that same approach today, hoping (praying) that some magic of the herbal-tea-and-cough-drops diet will restore my voice by tomorrow. Cause I have things to do, people. I have book talks at the elementary school book fair tomorrow. How are those kids going to know which books to beg their moms for if I don’t tell them? And Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, I’m teaching school. Then the Nunsense closing night on Saturday. See? I need some voodoo.

What works? How do I recover a lost voice?

Secrets? Tricks?

7 Comments

1. Oh dear! I have no good advice 🙁 I wish I did!
    I’ll cross my fingers and say a prayer.

Comment by Shelly Brown — March 26, 2012 @ 12:06 pm

2. Ugh. I’m so sorry. I usually drink a lot of Lemon Ginger Echinacea juice from Knudsen’s. LIke by the bottle. At room temperature or warmed up a little.

Comment by Macy — March 26, 2012 @ 7:38 pm

3. A friend once had me drink a teacup with lemon juice and cayenne pepper in it. It was nasty but I did feel better quick. My older sister swears by hot water, steeped with ginger root (a slice or two) and some honey. It’s soothing but I don’t know if it will recover your voice or not. *hug* Hope you’re feeling tip top soon!

Comment by L.T. Elliot — March 26, 2012 @ 8:52 pm

4. Lots of water and NO TALKING! I’m sorry, that means no library stuff, no teaching – no nada! I’m coming on Saturday, and I want to hear the performance of a lifetime!!

Comment by DeNae — March 27, 2012 @ 1:08 am

5. One time I was losing my voice and someone told me to just whisper when I wanted to talk. It didn’t really work but my house was so quiet because everyone else started whispering too.

Hope you feel better. I was singing in nursery Sunday and realized that the fabulous lady who was subbing with me can actually sing. I just gave her a weak smile for each note that was definitely off. My two year olds just don’t care so I usually don’t either.

Comment by Megan — March 27, 2012 @ 4:32 am

6. You are so busy!!!! I hope your voice comes back! Take it easy. <3

Comment by Carolyn V — March 27, 2012 @ 12:38 pm

7. We started cold action here two weeks ago. It’s pretty close to over. I only had to do a rehearsal a week ago last night — it was dreadful. Mucinex D — the kind you have to whisper to the pharmacist and get from under the counter — does a number on symptoms. I’m also a fan of the Zycam you swab into your nostrils.
    Too much fun.

Comment by Dad — March 28, 2012 @ 9:51 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress